Identity and finance theft is the most common problem and a serious drawback that technology has created. It occurs when your personal or financial information gets leaked on the internet (like your credit card details, social security data, and the like) by any fraudulent method and is then used to commit crimes for any ill doings. There are many ways through which you can protect yourself from personal identity theft as well as finance theft.
- Guard against spam. You get so many emails everyday from unknown and unauthorized senders, be careful about those emails and never reveal any personal or financial details to any unknown sender or spammer.
- Share personal and financial details only through secure websites and phone calls. Be aware of phone scams, do not give out your details to an unknown person over the phone unless you initiate the call yourself and are willing to divulge the details. Also check for the authentication of a website before you proceed with your details.
- Be aware of unknown links, attachments and file downloading that you receive from an unknown sender. Open links and attachments only when you are sure about their content. If you do not know what they contain, then refrain yourself from downloading or checking them. This may be an attempt to steal your personal or financial data through hacking software.
- Avoid links on a pop-up screen. Never click on those pop up links or enter your information because no legitimate or legal organization will ask you to enter your data on pop up screens. It is always a scam so beware of that.
- Protect your system with anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall settings.Get the most updated and good quality anti-virus software and don’t hesitate to invest in it as, it protects your computer from any possible threats and blocks all unauthorized links.
- Check your accounts and bank statements regularly.Make it a habit to manage all your personal and financial accounts by yourself and check all the bank statements on a regular basis to ensure that your accounts are protected and no illegal transaction has been made.